This egg, quinoa and avocado brunch bowl may look complicated, but this tasty dish is really quite simple to prepare. Let’s face it after a weekend of fish and chips and ice cream, it’s good to get back on track at the beginning of the week with a nutritious meal.
Would you eat a savoury meal like this for breakfast? Perhaps you would prefer it for lunch. It’s certainly a colourful combination of wholesome fresh food. So bright and enticing; a true power dish with great eye appeal. It’s an impressive breakfast or lunch for you or your health-conscious friends as it’s filled with good protein, fiber, and vitamins. Served with a drizzle of zesty fresh basil and tarragon pesto, you have perfect springtime flavours.
Despite the look, there are only a few ingredients. You can make your own pesto, or cheat with store-bought to save time. Poached eggs are a wonderful source of protein and along with the avocado are a great substitution for meat. Quinoa takes very little time to cook and is wonderful cold. I usually make enough on Monday to last throughout the week for a quick go-to healthy lunch. If it’s pre-made (only takes 20 minutes) and ready to go I will whip up a quick salad with tomatoes, and cucumbers, instead of heading for the bread and sliced meats. This way I don’t need to feel so guilty when on the weekend I might indulge in some of my not-so-good-for-you favourites. It’s all about balance, right?
Enjoy every bite of this “super breakfast” or lunch!
- 1 or 2 fresh eggs (cold)<g class=”gr_ gr_45 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_hide undefined Enhancement” id=”45″ data-gr-id=”45″><g class=”gr_ gr_49 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_hide undefined Enhancement” id=”49″ data-gr-id=”49″></g></g>
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 ripe avocado <g class=”gr_ gr_59 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep” id=”59″ data-gr-id=”59″>peeled,</g> and sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pesto (or more depending on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives or green onion
- several fresh basil leaves
- salt and black pepper
- Divide quinoa between bowls along with the sliced avocado, tomato, basil.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon or more depending on your taste, of the pesto over each bowl.
- To poach the fresh, cold eggs;
- Crack the eggs, one at a time into a cup or ramekin. In a medium sized saucepan (large enough to hold two eggs without crowding), fill 2/3 full with water. When the water is gently simmering, add the 1 teaspoon of vinegar and a pinch of salt. Slip the eggs into the water, and poach for 3- 4 minutes, spooning water over the yolk every minute or so, if necessary. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon. Place one egg on each plate over the quinoa.
- Sprinkle the chopped chives, salt, and pepper over the eggs and quinoa.